Often called Sand Bass, White Bass can be found in most water systems across the States.
These small fish are great sport and when you find a feeding shoal you can literally flip them out of the water one after the other.
That sounds great...
White Bass fishing in the Spring can be electric because small Shads and minnows are starting to make their way upstream. This doesn't go unnoticed by schools of hungry Bass...
Pro TIP: You will very often see birds diving into the water to whip up a handy lunch of Shad and you can be guaranteed that the Bass are picking them off under the water as well. The Shads will be going crazy and jumping out of the water trying to escape.
This is your chance to bag a few nice fish for yourself, but on a good day you could fill your boat as the Bass will be in a feeding frenzy and lunge at anything that looks remotely like a Shad.
You can fish with topwater lures or shallow swimmers like the
But what lures should you definitely have in your tackle box to catch White Bass?
Best White Bass Lures
- These ultra-realistic swim shad baits feature super-soft hand-poured bodies that are so lifelike, you might be tempted to take a bite yourself
- Sporting strong soft bodies with internal lead heads and bio-salt impregnated tails
- These durable baits are pre-rigged with a superior VMC needle point hooks. 3 per pack
- 0.25 Oz
- An excellent holographic swimmin’ foil finish and crazy 3-D WildEye stare
- Solid brass bodies
- Spinner blades are silver or gold plated, copper, or polished brass
- Beads are hand-turned on a lathe to resist chipping and cracking
- Flexible vinyl decals are silk screed with UV inks to resist fading
- Hand assembled in the U.S.A
- Balsa wood construction under incredible finishes make this the lure big fish find irresistible.
- Shallow Running Lip Design
- Classic Rapala "wounded-minnow" wobble
- Built tough with hard-diving lips and sharp treble hooks, these legendary lures have the power to survive even the toughest fights.
- The Shallow Shad Rap is perfect for fishing skinny water
- Country Of Origin : United States
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 0.76 Centimeters
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 8.64 Centimeters
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 6.6 Centimeters
- Pro designed
- Size, profile, and Dive depth imitate real shad
- Weight transfer for bullet-like casts
- Individually Tank tested
- Mustad ultra point hooks
My Favorite White Bass Lure - The Sassy Shad
The Sassy shad is made by Mr Twister and is dynamite on a school of Bass chasing jumpers. Just cast it straight into the swim and hold on tight. The realistic swimming style of this particular lure is irresistible to hungry White Bass.
Couple these with a jog head and thats it, time to fill the boat. I prefer white or similar to mimmic the Shads in the water.
They are a great all rounder lure for this type of fishing and because of the hook setup you can fish them near weeds without worrying to much about getting snagged.
Don't forget to pick yourself up a few jig heads to go with the soft lures. They ain't much good without them...
The best bait for White Bass has to be live minnows, if you have the time is to net yourself some. Fishing live bait is second to none if you come across a school of White Bass . You are essentially using exactly what they are feeding on to catch them. Grab yourself a minnow net and stock up.
If the fish are on you will need plenty so we recommend getting yourself something like the Eagle Claw minnow net.
|Eagle Claw Minnow Trap Black, 9-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch||CHECK TODAY'S PRICE|
How To Catch White Bass
One technique for catching Sand Bass that works every time for us is to watch the water for 'jumpers' and feeding birds. Usually seen on lakes and wide river systems this is a sure sign that the Bass are on.
They will be feeding on the small baitfish migrating upstream. When you see this head up towards the feeding area and cast your lure straight into the middle of it. The bites and fish will come quick and hard.
Fishing for White Bass with lures or live bait is the most common method of catching these predatory fish who mainly feed on live bait.
When the fishing slows or stops completely then it's time to have another look around and start spotting for jumpers again. Move your boat close to the action and cast into the middle of it all again.
The only challenge you will have on the day is keeping you boat afloat because it will be weighed down with fish!
We have been asked how to catch white bass in the summer. Well the standard answer is always the same. You won't have the usual run of small bait fish but use an affordable fish finder and you will be able to locate the fish - the rest is fishing as usual.
Here is a great video by Fle Fly fishing giving you plenty of tips and tricks for catching White Bass. They are using a Fle Fly Go Go Minnow which is performing brilliantly for them. Well worth putting a few in your tackle box.
Have you a go-to lure that you use and catch great fish? Let us know in the comments.